To help those like myself who will inevitably get stuck this month during the Ultimate Blog Challenge, I’ve decided to list a few of the tips/resources/ideas I use when writing … either blog posts, short stories or novels. These are usually my go to’s when I can’t come up with anything to write or add to my blog.
- Write Or DIE! – I love this app and use it all the time. The basic idea behind it is you set yourself a time you want to write for, then you write! If you don’t there are some dire consequences … well maybe not dire. It definitely gets you writing though.
- Getty Images – Or really any of your favourite stock image site. I use this to find relevant pictures for my blog posts but also to help with my descriptions. If I’m trying to describe a forest I will take a look through the stock
photos, find one that works with the image I have in my mind and use it to for my descriptions … I find it always helps to see what I’m trying to write so I can get details I didn’t even think existed.
- Baby Names – Every character I write about has a name that perfectly fits … well maybe not perfectly but I try my best to choose a name that I feel best suits the character. This is one of my favourite site, you can look the name up by meanings or just browse, and they even have a great article to help authors come up with names for their characters.
- Blog Memes – A great way to create posts without too much thought is to join in a blog meme. Most have the theme and you just need to plug it in. Two of my favourites are WeWriWa and Hump Day Hook. Great memes for published for aspiring authors.
- Challenges – Sometimes it’s just fun to create a challenge for your writing, like the Ultimate Blog Challenge … then of course it’s another story to stick to it!
- Twitter – Twitter can be great in a couple ways. You can share your favourite tweets of the day, or check out what is trending and share your opinions on the subject.
- Dictionary – I keep mine in my favourite book mark bar at all times. This site also has a great thesaurus … I mean sure you could just buy one and have the book on hand but I find it so much easier to just type it in!
- Reviews – Something that works with any type of blog, reviews. Since my blog focuses on my writing I tend to write reviews on books I’ve read. Though you can write a review about anything that pertains to your niche, including writing reviews on other sites.
- Interviews – Another great way to get a blog post in. Interview someone, whether famous or not and then share your thoughts on what they’ve told you.
- Guest Posts – One of the easiest way to get content for your blog is to get guest posts. It also helps to bring in people who may not normally follow your blog but do follow those who are writing the guest post.
And that’s about it! I’m sure there are tons of other blog posts out there that give different ideas for posts, if ever stuck doing a quick search will pull up tons of ideas! Good luck with your blogging, and those who are doing the Ultimate Challenge with me … keep it up!